top of page

Child Maintenance Calculator

Citizens Advice

A charity offering free help and advice on a wide range of issues including: debt, housing, immigration, legal issues, benefits, health, employment, consumer issues.

Covid / Coronavirus Advice

Latest UK government guidelines. 




Food banks 

Find one near you. 

Free advice in different languages

Government information and services

Health care choices

Health Services Finder

Health and Safety at work

Latvians in the UK  /

Latvian News -

Latvian advertisement portal -

National Debtline

Charity providing free, independent advice and help with debt and money matters.

0808 808 4000

Norfolk Community Law Service - NCLS

Free legal advice and support for vulnerable people, including migrants.

01603 496623

Official document translations

OISC Immigration adviser finder

The Adviser Finder lists advisers who are regulated by the OISC. 

Primary school place applications

Rape Crisis

Support for women & girls -     

Safeline National Male Survivors helpline: 0808 800 5005

Refugee Council 

0808 196 7272

Roma Support Group

The Samaritans 

Free helpline for those feeling desperate, depressed, suicidal or struggling to cope.  Whatever you're going through, The Samaritans are there for you, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Call 116 123    

Shelter UK 
Free help with housing / homelessness. 

Suffolk Domestic Abuse Help

Free 24hr help - 0800 977 5690

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How can I get a national insurance number?

You can apply for a National Insurance number if all of the following are true:

  • you live in England, Scotland or Wales

  • you entered the UK on a visa that’s still valid (and has not been extended in the UK)

  • you have the right to work in the UK.

Call the National Insurance number application line to ask for an application form - 0800 141 2075.

You will need supporting documents to apply, which can include: ID, proof of address, evidence of employment. 


2. How can I get registered with a GP?

Contact your local GP surgery and ask to register; they will give you forms to fill in.  You'll need to complete a separate form for each person you want to register (i.e. each family member).  All NHS surgeries and provision have translation services available. 

Further information about migrants and NHS healthcare entitlements


3. How do I register my child in a school? 

You will need to contact your local council and provide you and your children’s details so that they can allocate a school in your catchment area.

Norfolk County Council -  01603 638036 /

4. What if I’m at risk of becoming homeless?

You will need to contact your local authority  (Gt Yarmouth - 01493 856100) and explain your situation in detail. 

If you need an interpreter, they will be able to provide one. 

You can also contact Shelter for free, impartial housing help - Shelter Helpline 0808 800 4444

5. What is Universal Credit and how can I make a claim?

You can claim universal credit for help with rent and living costs.

You can usually get universal credit if you or a partner you live with:

You apply online. All appointments are now over the phone.

You have to wait at least 5 weeks before you get any money unless you ask for an advance.

In order to apply you will need the following information:

  • An active email address

  • Your full name, address and phone number

  • Your National Insurance Number

  • Your employment details

  • Your landlord’s name, address and phone number

  • Your most recent tenancy agreement

  • Details of your family members to be included in the claim

Universal Credit Helpline: 0800 328 5644.      More info and apply here -

6. How do I apply for Child Benefit or report changes?

Child Benefit is a monthly payment that can help you with the costs of your children.

If you're eligible you'll get £21.05 a week for your first child and £13.95 a week for any children after that.

You can claim Child Benefit if:

  • you're 'responsible for the child'

  • the child is under 16 years old - or 16 to 20 years old and still in education or training

It doesn’t matter if you work, or have savings and investments.

You can find out more and apply online through the UK Government website.   Child Benefit Helpline -  0300 200 3100


7. My child was born here - how do I register her/his birth?

Register Offices are where births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships are registered in the UK, so you will need to contact your local Register Office -

Register Office Gt Yarmouth - 01493 445112 /

By law, births in England must be registered within 42 days, and your baby must be registered in the district where they were born. 

8. Where can I find a job?

  • Join our GYROS Job Club Facebook group for help finding work and the latest local job vacancies 

  • Look online at your nearest  JobCentre Plus website for job vacancies near you

  • Contact local employment agencies and register with them 

  • Check your local newspapers such as The EDP,  Advertiser, Mercury.


9. I’m new to the country and I have just rented out a house. What should I look out for?

Make sure that you view the house before signing any documents. If you think the house has any problems, you should make sure that they are resolved before moving in. Any money that you pay to your landlord or lettings agency, make sure that you get receipts and always read your tenancy agreement.

10. Why do I have to pay council tax?

In the UK, we all need to pay council tax which is calculated according to the property we live in. The amount will differ from household to household and if you are entitled to council tax benefit. This money will go towards infrastructure in the area, police, waste collection, schools and more. If you have difficulty paying it, you should contact your local council.

11. How do I apply for EU Settled Status? 

All EU / EEA / Swiss citizens and their families MUST complete an EUSS application if they want to continue living and working in the UK. 

  • Deadline for applications is 30/06/2021. 

  • GYROS provides free help and support for applicants, more info here.

12. How can I legalise a document?

You can get certain official UK documents ‘legalised’ by asking the Legalisation Office to confirm that the signature, stamp or seal is from a UK public official.

You might need to do this if an official in another country has asked you to provide a UK document and they’ve said it must be legalised.

The standard service costs £30 per document, plus courier fees or postage.   More info here... 

Useful Information

bottom of page